Unhidden by Dina Given
Title: Unhidden (The Gatekeeper Chronicles, Book #1)
Dina M. Given
Adult Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance
It’s not always easy to differentiate between the good guys and the bad guys, especially when a trained killer may be falling in love with her evil hunter…
Emma Hayes, a former military Special Forces Operative turned mercenary-for-hire, finds her tightly controlled world turned upside down when she becomes the target of attacks by powerful supernatural creatures.
Emma must use every skill in her arsenal to stay alive as she tries to solve the mystery of why she has been targeted. Her list of enemies keeps growing – from Zane Shayde, an evil Mage, to a secret branch of the US government – and she doesn’t know if there is anyone left she can trust.
To complicate matters further, Emma is inexplicably drawn to Zane in a way she does not quite understand, even knowing her life is forfeit if captured. Who is he and why does he have this affect on her? How can she fight someone who calls to her, body and soul?
Emma is left haunted by questions, doubts and fears as to why she has been targeted, when they will come for her next, and how she will possibly survive against an enemy she doesn’t understand.
Five Things You Wouldn’t Know About Me
- I spent my childhood in a bubble. I grew up with fairly severe asthma and environmental allergies to pretty much everything around me. I couldn’t participate in gym class, or play in piles of leaves in the Fall (although I couldn’t clean the house either, so it wasn’t all bad). I got allergy shots (one in each arm) every week for 15 years, trying to build up immunity. And it worked. I was 21 when I had my last asthma attack and cats no longer land me in the hospital (although nuts still do).
- Less than 10 years ago I started exercising. I did a Couch-to-5K program and finished my first 5K in 35 minutes. I did it again the next year to try to beat my time, and I finished the 5K in 28 minutes. I was hooked. Since then, I shaved a couple of more minutes off my best 5K, completed 4 half-marathons, 3 sprint triathlons and a full marathon. Weight loss never worked as a good motivator for me to regularly exercise. What worked was competing against myself to always get a little better, and the alone time away from my crazy kids to unwind and decompress was a significant contributor. I am now in training and registered for 3 olympic triathlons this summer.
- I have a major obsession with jigsaw puzzles. I try to avoid them because whenever one is placed in front of me, I will work on it intensely for hours or days until it’s finished. My husband bought me two for Christmas, so I blame him for the fact that I didn’t get any writing done. He says jigsaw puzzles cleanse my brain’s palate. I can shut off the incessant thinking and just focus on something singular and somewhat mindless.
- Alas, writing is not my full time job. I am hoping someday it will be, but for now I work a fairly demanding job for one of the largest health care companies in the world. I am Health Care Compliance Officer, which essentially means I help the company do the right thing, both legally and ethically. I actually do a lot of writing in my job, but its mainly policies, procedures, training materials and performance reviews – which isn’t nearly as much fun as writing UNHIDDEN was.
- I am a huge animal lover – dogs in particular – and I am a big advocate of adopting rescue dogs. I adopted my dog, Dixie, from a local rescue organization that pulled her from a high-kill shelter in Kentucky, where she had been found as a stray. She is a boxer/pointer mix, and likely a failed hunting dog. She was probably abused a bit too because she flinches away when a hand comes close to her face. But she is the sweetest, most loyal dog ever! So now I volunteer for that same rescue organization, and as I write this, I am trying to convince my husband (not as much of an animal lover) to agree to foster a shelter dog for the rescue group. Fingers crossed that I can sufficiently tug on his heart strings!
About the Author
Dina Given lives in rural New Jersey – home of farms, horses and the largest hot air balloon festival in North America – with her husband, two crazy kids, and one rescue dog. She is an exercise enthusiast and avid lover of food and wine (hence the need to exercise). Dina also works full time for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world. She attributes her ability to juggle family, work and writing to her obsessive, hyper-focused, Type A personality.
Connect with Dina
We are a new site and are slowly building our website, please check back often for changes.
Don’t want to miss any more posts? Subscribe to this Blog by email.